- The idea of flow
Divide the class into 6 groups. Each group will have 6 to 7 members. Each member jot down a memorable event in the last few weeks. The event can be your own experience, e.g. watch a film, TV, reading a book, dining with friends or family, a new dating, or any other events that general public experienced together.
Each student use only one sentence to describe your event. A typical sentence should include a subject, one or more verbs, an object, and optional adjective, adverb.
Also, we are going to discuss the gaming elements of the event for the game design workshop. Try to describe your “in the state of flow” experience of playing video game.
- Mind map exercise with the identified ideas from last phase.
- Generate game ideas from the mind map with focus on the formal elements of game.
Points you can consider
- Define each player’s goal.
- What does a player need to do to win?
- What is the single most important type of action in the game?
- Describe how this functions.
- Outline the procedures and rules.
- Focus on the most critical rules. Leave other rules until later.
- Map out how a typical turn works.
- How many players can play the game?
- How do the players interact with each other?
Result of the workshop
- What would be your game ? (at least for the moment)
- What are the formal elements of your game ?
- How your game create a flow experience ?