- Ideas of flow in game
- 2nd game design workshop
- Construct the main story line along the dramatic arc.
- Identify the core gameplay mechanism
- Students can refer to this game specification document.
Examples (from Game Design Workshop, Tracy Fullerton)
- WarCraft: Players build and move units on a map in real time with the intent of opposing units in combat and destroying them.
- Monopoly: Players buy and improve properties with the goal of charging rent to other players who land on them in the course of play.
- Diablo: Players battle monsters, seek treasure, and explore dungeons in an attempts to amass wealth and become more powerful.
- Super Mario Bros: Player controls Mario (or Luigi), making him walk, run, and jump, while avoiding traps, overcoming obstacles, and gathering treasure.