Refer to the following video documentation of the event “Can You See Me Now?”; discuss if you consider it as a game and/or artwork.
- Paper prototyping
Divide the class into 6 groups. Each group will have 6 to 7 members. Each member jot down a memorable event in the last few weeks. The event can be viewing experience of a film, TV program, comic, book, or dining, new year activity, dating, etc. We are going to discuss the gaming elements of the event for the game design workshop.
- Exquisite Corpse exercise with words taken from the preparation phase. Identify the best sentence from each group.
- Mind map exercise with the identified sentence from last phase.
- Generate game ideas from the mind map with focus on the formal elements of game.
Formal elements of a game
Points you can consider
- Define each player’s goal.
- What does a player need to do to win?
- What is the single most important type of action in the game?
- Describe how this functions.
- Outline the procedures and rules.
- Focus on the most critical rules. Leave other rules until later.
- Map out how a typical turn works.
- How many players can play the game?
- How do the players interact with each other?